Saturday 5 April 2008

Tooting Ghost Signs

All of these ghost signs were spotted on Mitcham Road, Tooting between Tooting railway station and Tooting Broadway Underground.

Tooting Railway Station
I had just walked down Longley Road Tooting where I had stumbled over 'Music Hall Artiste' Harry Lauder's house with it's blue plaque (and if you follow the link, click on the picture of the house for some interesting photos and documentation about the blue plaque ceremony) and was still in Longley Road when I caught sight of this sign next to the station. I took a couple of pictures because I wanted to show it in context as well as close-up. Obviously over-painted it seems to say Gorringe Park - Hire, Sale or Exchange - ??? and Repairs

This is from as close as I could get

..and this is from the other side of the street
Mitcham Road, Tooting
Partly obscured this looks to be a fairly standard design for Players Navy Cut cigarettes (going on the evidence of the following sign anyway). The red seems to be over-painting that has itself faded away allowing the original sign to show through again.
Mitcham Road, Tooting
Just a little further on, right next to the library, is another Players Navy Cut Tobbaco sign, slightly clearer and with less over-painting this time. Looks as though it might have been preserved by later advertising hoardings if the black paint at the bottom is any indication. Very similar design to the earlier one though.

Mitcham Road, Tooting
Up near the tube station is a nightclub/bar called the 'Bar 2 Far' but in an earlier life
probably better known as the 'Horse and Groom' or the 'Horse and Hounds' . Anyway, there was definitely a horse in there somewhere...And finally, as I went round the corner from the tube to catch a bus back to South Wimbledon, there across the road....

Garratt Terrace
I believe that I've already documented this one from an earlier walk but sometimes it's nice to have a little seconds and I didn't have the heart to ignore it.

2 comments:

Dub said...

I saw this earlier from a 155 bus travelling past Tooting Broadway (looking towards Garrat Lane)towards Tooting Bec [Streetview link] I couldn't quite make out what the advert was for

Anonymous said...

its the HORSE & GARTER