Thursday 19 August 2010

Shop Mosaics of Bath (Faded London on Tour 2010)

Faded London has taken the opportunity of a few days in the fair city of Bath to have a look around to see what there is to tantalise and tickle the taste-buds of a capital city snapper. As it turns out there was quite a bit. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the whole city revolves around the notion of the 'fade' to the extent that ghost signs especially seem to be treasured items, especially in the city centre, as you'll see in a later post. 

One area that might have a hint of the more 'accidental survivor' about it than most is the shop mosaic, of which there seem to be a fair few around. I didn't particularly take note of the locations of these items, although if I can vaguely remember the area I'll indicate its whereabouts, but  really I was just interested in recording the items themselves and I'm sure some local preservation society has them all mapped out and recorded for the local connoisseur!
Now a beauty salon, I was lucky enough to spot this one having stopped to photo a ghost sign whilst heading home toward the A4. Usually it's the name of the company that's recorded, not the business itself.
I think this one was in the vicinity of Poultney Bridge, near the weir. One of those examples where subsequent owners took the time and the money to remove the original owners name, without putting their own in its place!
If I recall correctly, this was the entrance to a bank on the High Street

Duck, Son & Pinker - a bit of an unwieldy name but still a music shop just beside Poultney Bridge. One of the more colourful of the Bath shop mosaics.
I thought this one had a thirties feel to it. It's still owned by the same company so whatever they've been doing it's obviously been ok.
One of a pair of fine mosaics in the shopfront of a now empty building. Most recently a beautician's, I'd love to know what they originally sold.
At the top of Union Street I believe. Payne is long gone but the mosaic lingers on
The same goes for L. T. Pound. No suggestion as to what he might have been involved with.
Why do I immediately think of yellow rubber gloves?
It's still the Bath YMCA with a grand mosaic to match!
My favourite Bath mosaic. A complete list of all branches in the town, even though the name of the business is missing! It's just around the corner from the Royal Crescent and next door to an Austrian shop selling cuckoo-clocks, strudel and a superb cherry flavoured hot chocolate!
 

12 comments:

SilverTiger said...

Mosaics probably were (are) expensive so their existence reflects a time of stability when shops expected to remain in existence for a long time, unlike today when they often disappear shortly after opening. There are some nice examples in your account.

I too used to embarrass myself by failing to record where pictures were taken. My first iteration was to take "location data", i.e. to photograph street name plates etc.

My second iteration was even better: a geotagger. I take this with me when I go out and it enables me to tag my photos with reasonably precise longitude and latitude coordinates which can be mapped or can be looked up on Google (or Bing) maps.

I think modern technology has made us lazy. Not so long ago, any competent photographer would carry a notebook and pencil and write down precious details!

knit nurse said...

lovely mosaics, thanks for posting those. They are so often overlooked by shoppers who are more interested in seeing what's in the window!

Lucy R. Fisher said...

"Now a beauty salon, I was lucky enough to spot this one having stopped to photo a ghost sign whilst heading home toward the A4." So glad you're now a beauty salon – time to read Spike Milligan's The Bedsitting Room? Seriously, lovely post!

Yelfy said...

Well Richmonde, I have to confess I was walking round Bath taking these photos with a pronounced limp. Spelt L-I-M-P, pronounced 'Limp'! (pun copyright S. Milligan esq.) Sadly though even my mother could never confuse me with a beauty salon ;-)

Kay Richardson said...

yes. i like these. i often consider making one myself. of my face. however, i'm uncomfortable with people stepping on it.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

What a fun theme for a photo collection! I love that you found beauty in the mundane.

Angie said...

Just love all those mosaics!! Next time anyone is in Bath could you look & see if 1 Union passage - 23 Union street & 5 Wood street is still there. My Butler family had shoe shops there in the early to mid 1900s.

lynda Howells said...

I too love these mosaics and have quite a few of the same images. I live in Putney and just love living in London, after many years abroad. I have a blog that l call http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com which l record my journeys around London and other places l visit. Have a look if you have time.
L really enjoy your blog. lynda

lynda Howells said...

I too love these mosaics and have quite a few of the same images. I live in Putney and just love living in London, after many years abroad. I have a blog that l call http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com which l record my journeys around London and other places l visit. Have a look if you have time.
L really enjoy your blog. lynda

Mosaicos La Pasera said...

Such an exciting post showing a wide range of styles in the art of mosaic making. As a mosaicist it would be great to see the return of mosaics in contemporary designs. Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

950 Loan for 6 Months are services which are tailored for settling your earlier debts. You can opt for it in the secured and in the unsecured type. You can thus avail this monetary facility although you are a non-homeowner. Application for this scheme is easy through the online medium. For more please visit us @ http://www.1000poundstillpaydayloans.co.uk/.

ADV Shutters LTD said...

For genuine cost Glass Shop Fronts in London people can contact at ADV Shutters Ltd. call us and know more.