Monday 19 January 2009

A Couple More Clapham Coalholes...

Sometimes a few just slip through the net...
Looking through the various sets of photos I've taken on my travels I came across a few that I didn't recognise. Sure enough there was a small cluster of Clapham coalholes that I'd missed when setting up a previous entry and which (apart from being somewhere in Clapham, obviously...) I can't exactly recall where they were spotted. Then I realised that there are a couple of new manufacturers amongst them to be added to my database over to the right-hand side of the blog so it was all mildly peeving for a short while (about ten seconds I suppose...I'm not too precious about these sort of things) but still, here they are anyway...

C.F. Darby & Co. Ltd - Clapham Junction, London
Here's a nice local one from a manufacturer with a good iron-related name.

Unknown Manufacturer Well I have to say this one looks as though someone has taken a piece of bog-standard metal flooring, cut it in a circle and drilled a few holes in it. Where's the joy? Where's the passion? Where's the art????

Mitchell & Harris, 90 Newington Causeway, London S.E. Another new manufacturer to me, sounding suspiciously like a comedy double act appearing on the Royal Variety Show. No obvious references to either of the company's mentioned on this posting so I suspect it will be down to some Kelly's Directory-type searching to find anything about them. The red tile paint that has obviously covered them up for a few years doesn't help much either...

Unknown Manufacturer More red paint but this one has not fared so well with a bit of erosion here and there. Most frustrating of all is the possibility that there might have been a manufacturers mark or name on the inside of the ring... but then again it may just be a trick of the light

So that's two more manufacturers to add to a list that I suspect will grow for many years to come. I'm not really sure who will find my visual index of representative London coalholes of much use but I live in hope that it adds in some small way to the sum total of human knowledge!

1 comment:

pillbox hunter said...

iv just started looking for Coal hole covers i do like your ones ';-)